Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ode to my new city.

I found my self returning to the same part of town for the last three days in a row. Why was I doing this? What need was this filling? I looked closer at things here. I doubled back on streets to see if I could get a better look once I came around again.

Everywhere I felt something... different. I had seen all these faces and places before. This wasn't the first time I had been in "this part of town." But this place, it was newer, more real than the rest, in fact, to me it was all new. 

I moved to Kansas City at the end of January. I began my new job the second day of February. I literally had three days to move into my new city, home and life.  Add to this a marriage that is ending in divorce, a five year old boy being left by his dad, a new girlfriend that I am completely in love in love with. (Not that you need to know, but I never cheated on my wife - the last couple of four years or so, I thought about it.) 

I selected an apartment in the safe, clean part of the city. I am living in the suburbs. I also signed a  year lease. 

The part of town that I have been drawn towards these last few days was Westport.

This artsie, diverse and odd portion of the city is a rejuvenated and vibrant part of Kansas City. Originally an outfitting area for the travelers on the four trails, (Lewis & Clark, Santa Fe, Oregon and California) that all came through this area. Westport has become a mecca for rockers. philosophers, poets, musicians, actors and drinkers.

I have always strived to be cooler than I am. It's a struggle when you're an overweight white kid that is funny at best. Over time I became one of these outcasts that fill the blocks that make up Westport. I am starting to feel immediately connected to this portion of the city full of used bookstores, record shops and great places to nosh. 

I feel cool when I am there. That's the point. I feel like I am sharing a secret tree house with the cool kids on the block.  Cool kids that like dumpling and noodle restaurants.



2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to be a "cool kid" with you and explore this artsy, diverse, and odd little patch of wonderfulness in the city.
    Will you share your treehouse with me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share everything with you. I hope to be the first and last thing you give thought to before you sleep and wake. I am lost without you. You are my compass. I love you, guide me. I want to be the best person I can be for you.

    With all mt love,

    JAX

    ReplyDelete